PRSA Phoenix also announced Percy award and student scholarship winners
PHOENIX – Sept. 12, 2017 — The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Phoenix chapter awarded 39 awards during its annual Copper Anvil Awards, a program that recognizes outstanding public relations tactics and campaigns, reflecting the highest standards of performance in public relations. During the event on Sept. 7, an additional award of recognition and two student scholarships were presented.
The PRSA Phoenix chapter awarded Doug MacKenzie, director of media relations at Visit Phoenix, with the Percy Award. The award honors a professional who has demonstrated excellence in the practice of public relations, is an active supporter of PRSA Phoenix, and has made positive contributions to the Phoenix community. Since 1960, this prestigious award has been awarded to 39 Valley public relations practitioners.
Dani Ganley and Keri Orcutt, students at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, each received the chapter’s annual student scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each.
Of the 39 awards given, 26 were Copper Anvil Awards and 13 were Award of Merits. While both awards recognize excellence in public relations, the Copper Anvil Award is the highest honor bestowed by PRSA Phoenix followed by the Award of Merit. Finalists and award type are determined by the final point score given by the judging chapter.
2017 Copper Anvil Award winners:
- Community Relations: HMA Public Relations – Going for Gold
- Digital/Social Media: Allstate Insurance – #FitforLife
- Digital/Social Media: Arizona Diamondbacks – #VoteLamb to the All-Star Game
- Digital/Social Media: Arizona Diamondbacks – D-Backs Can’t Stop The Feeling Video
- External Communications: Arizona Humane Society – Animal Cops Phoenix
- External Communications: HMA Public Relations – The Arizona Commission for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing – Are You Hearing This? I Said Turn Those Noisy Toys Down!
- External Communications: Serendipit Consulting – Buzzies PR Launch
- External Communications: The James Agency – Mountain Shadows PR Campaign
- Integrated Communications: Allstate Insurance – #FitforLife
- Integrated Communications: Arizona Diamondbacks – D-Backs PetSmart Patio/Dog Days of Summer
- Integrated Communications: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona – Leading the Healthcare Story
- Integrated Communications: Gilbert, Arizona – Digital State of the Town
- Integrated Communications: Ideas Collide – Junior League of Phoenix 80th Annual Rummage Sale
- Internal Communications: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona – Phish Me Not
- Public Affairs: Fingerpaint Marketing – We Bring the Heavy Trash Talk, Yo…Don’t Trash Arizona
- Publications: Annual Report: Gilbert, Arizona Office of Economic Development – Annual Report Fiscal Year 2016
- Publications: Brochure: City of Mesa Transportation – City of Mesa Transportation Department Brochure Suite
- Publications: Newsletter/Magazine, Print: City of Mesa Transportation – SpokeLife Magazine
- Publicity/Promotion: Feature Story: HMA Public Relations – Assistance League of Phoenix: Improving the Lives of Local Children Across the Valley
- Reputation Management: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona – Leading the Healthcare Story
- Special Events: Groundbreaking/Grand Opening: Girl Scouts- Arizona Cactus-Pine Council – The Parsons Leadership Center Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
- Special Events: Observances 1-7 Days: Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply – The Rise of the TOCA Fireside Chat
- Special Events: Observances 1-7 Days: Gilbert, Arizona – Digital State of the Town Premiere
- Special Events: Observances 1-7 Days: Ideas Collide – Junior League of Phoenix 80th Annual Rummage Sale
- Special Events: Observances 7+ Days: City of Chandler – America in Times of Conflict
- Special Events: Observances 7+ Days: HMA Public Relations – Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge
2017 Award of Merit winners:
- Community Relations: Allstate Insurance – Be Present
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Allstate Insurance – Be Present
- External Communications:
- Integrated Communications: Allison + Partners – Dignity Health: Harnessing the Power of a Smile
- Integrated Communications: City of Phoenix Public Works – Top 10 In The Bin
- Integrated Communications: HMA Public Relations – Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Multicultural Communications: Arizona Diamondbacks – Somos D-backs
- Public Affairs: AAA Arizona – Arizona Bans Cell Phones for Teen Drivers
- Publications: Annual Report: City of Mesa Water Resources – Water Quality Consumer Confidence Report
- Publications: Newsletter/ Magazine, Electronic: Allstate Insurance – SW Express- agency newsletter
- Publications: Newsletter/ Magazine, Electronic: Avnet – Supply Chain Navigator Demonstrates Avnet’s Distinct Supply Chain Thought Leadership
- Special Events: News Conference: Gordon C. James Public Relations – Off to College
- Special Events: Observances 1-7 Days: City of Chandler – 7th Annual Chandler Chuck Wagon Cook-Off
The Phoenix Chapter also recognized Gilbert, Arizona Office of Economic Development’s Annual Report Fiscal Year 2016 with the coveted Judges’ Award, which is presented to the campaign or tactic that the reciprocating judging chapter felt best-defined public relations excellence.
Annual chapter sponsor, APS, in addition to event sponsors Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, Clique Photo Station, Fingerpaint Marketing, Mark Skalny Photography, The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch and WHYFOR, made the event possible.
About PRSA Phoenix
The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) is the largest and most prominent organization dedicated to the professional development and advocacy of public relations practitioners. Founded in 1961, the Phoenix chapter is one of the largest in the nation, serving more than 300 PR and communications professionals in a variety of industries. PRSA Phoenix offers its members opportunities to advance their careers through events, awards programs, accreditation and a variety of skill-building resources. A 15-member board of directors governs the chapter. For more information on PRSA Phoenix visit prsaphoenix.org.